Wednesday, August 9, 2023

Project Kay

About 2 months ago, I was laid off. For the reason that I'm not a good fit for the company. But whatever, that's not the point. 

I'm here to write about how it feels to be unemployed. 

Not gonna lie, it feels pretty fucking good. Initially, I thought I should have some kind of project to do while being unemployed because of all the free time I now have in my hands and how one needs to be productive. But then I changed my mind. 

Being unemployed means I have all the time in the world to do anything, but also nothing. So I decided the only project that I'll be working on is getting myself the rest I fucking deserve. 

My days are unplanned - I go wherever I want, do whatever I want. I no longer have to worry if I have to get home by a certain time for calls and pending tasks, or to check if I missed any email or Slack messages. If I'm feeling particularly tired for whatever reason, I could just sleep in. Then wake up, cook myself a meal if I could find anything from the fridge, and then just laze around or pick up my book to continue where I left off the previous day. I would read until I'm sleepy and then take a nap. 

Rinse and repeat. 

It sounds boring but it feels fucking liberating. 

Unemployment reinforces my desire to never be a slave to any full-time job anymore. Sure, my bank account is being drained but I have never been happier. I have taken on some freelancing opportunities but that's where I draw the line at: part-timing. 

There isn't enough "great work culture" and job satisfaction to lure me back into a full-time rat race. Of course, I've built up a financial safety net to allow myself to live this way but there's nothing that anyone can say or do to make me feel bad for choosing this route. I'm unmarried, child-free and have no property to my name - the absence of major financial commitments allow me to do so and there's not a single ounce of regret in me. 

Sure, it felt like shit when I was first laid off but I know it's ultimately a good outcome. 

And a good outcome it is. 


No comments: